Saturday, December 31, 2011

My way of thinking/ 2011 Reflections Part 3

Parts 1 & 2 covered my jump into the world of technology and social media, my horrific car accident, Jon's brush with death, and our ultimate triumph over it all. 
By September everything was coming up roses.  I had begun this blog and was having a great time writing and meeting fellow bloggers.  Our home was beautiful, our dogs were healthy and happy.  What more could any man want?  I know.  How about one more phone upgrade?  Sure.  Why not?  I bought an android phone with Motorola Blur (whatever that is).  My technological transformation was complete.  I had no idea how to use the thing but this wasn't anything new.  I just called those poor phone company reps every day til I had the darn thing under control.  When I began, I didn't know what an app was.  I had heard the term on TV commercials but I really didn't know how all that worked.  I am proud to say that I know now.

The most significant change for me in 2011 was not my new found technology however, although it was technology that allowed it to happen.  It was my reconnection and new connection with friends.  Sandy Spurlock is the perfect example of a reconnection if ever there was one.  We met at age 15 in 1970 during a church sponsored trip to an orphanage in Mexico.  While other kids were enjoying Spring Break at the beach, we were building a road.  We were kindred spirits then.  We took a 40 year break so that she could raise 5 sons and I could run off to the world of show biz.  Then we came back together as if we had never been apart.  What a wonderful friendship we have today all because of technology and facebook.

An example of a new connection is my new friend, Theresa Campbell.  We met on Facebook by luck.  Turns out that, not only did we go to High School together without crossing paths, but she lives nearby.  Not a day goes by now that we don't communicate by one means or another.  Theresa is the queen of texting.  We have also been able to get together in person.  How great is that.

There is a line from the musical "The Fantasticks" by Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt that seems appropriate for the year I had in 2011.
"There is a curious paradox that no one can explain,
Who understands the secret of the reaping of the grain,
Who understands why spring is born out of winter's laboring pain,
Or why we all must die a bit before we grow again."

Appropriate and true words.  The year was one of growth for me.  I didn't have to change to grow.  I simply learned that my principles of love and positive thinking can get you through the best of times and the worst of times.  The incredible power and positive energy created by love can accomplish almost anything.

One more thing happened fairly recently that affected me on a very deep level.  My love of dogs should be well known by now.  If not, welcome new reader!  Recently Theresa lost her 18 year old pup.  Maynard was a good boy and a beloved companion.  I grieved with Theresa as she said goodbye.  Then just 10 days or so later, my blogging pal Heidi Alberti lost her 6 year old companion, Atticus after a protracted illness.  Atticus was more than a dog to Heidi and to those of us who got to know him.  He was an idea, an ideal if you will.  He was the voice of reason on Heidi's blog.  He was a living, breathing embodiment of all that is right with our world and he wasn't afraid to speak out if something seemed wrong.  We all miss him every day.

Ok.  As another blogging pal, Franziska San Pedro so wisely said, "wrap it up".  So that is what I'll do.  It has been a remarkable adventure this 2011.  Challenges and rewards.  Quite a balance I would say.  I am ready to face the unknown future with you in 2012.  Thanks so much for joining me on this journey.

                                          Peace and Love,

                                              Austin/Bill

                                 www.wahjr56.blogspot.com



12 comments:

  1. It's like we walked a time together, then our paths diverged, going very different directions, now our paths are once again together, the same as before inside, but now older, wiser, stronger and more determined than ever to make every moment count!

    It is nice to be mentioned in your blog, but even better to know that I and so many other wonderful people are getting to know one another through you and your writings. Life is amazing; full of surprises when you least expect it. I am so grateful for our friendship, and the friendships I see developing because of your bringing us together. I can't wait to walk the path of this New Year together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to mention how much I appreciated your quote from the musical; the part "why must we all die a bit before we grow again". That statement reached out and slapped me in the face! I have seen that cycle in my life countless times to one degree or another, but for some reason it seems I have experienced it more intensely than ever before. Maybe it's because I have begun to confront the things that have held me back all my life. Note I am not saying I have begun to conquer, just that I am beginning to confront!

    Bill, your postings and encouragement this past year have had a tremendous impact on my growth. As we walk through the door into a brand New Year, it is not given to us to know what we face; that being said, I am glad to be walking through that door with you and some terrific new friends. I so look forward to getting more involved and growing together with all of you together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So right Sandy! I love watching you develope friendships with some of the special people it is my privilege to know. Just tonight I spoke of you to Colleen Tormey and she immediately sent you a friend request. She is a lovely lady, as are you, so it seemed like a perfect fit.

    The year ahead is exciting in so many ways. How wonderful to know that I get to share it with you and your family. I can't wait to see what comes next!

    Love,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Bill. Thank you for the beautiful description of Atticus -- perfect! please excuse my absence from commenting & blog reading --- I've been very solitary lately and haven't kept up with anyone's blog...
    may 2012 bring you continued connections, growth, friendship & writing.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Heidi, I am so glad you read this. You are in my thoughts all the time. I pray that 2012 will bring you back to all of us who love you so very much. Your voice is needed out here in the blogosphere! There is such a void without you. Atti can still speak to us if you'll let him. I KNOW he wants to!

    Love, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, I am relieved that this third part is full of peacefulness, love, and gratitude--your trademarks--rather than another crisis! I, too, concluded 2011 thinking about Atticus, so I am grateful for your reminder here. What a lovely coming together for you with your friends. In fact, Sandy Spurlock just recently revisited my blog--so more connections being made as we speak.

    May 2012 be a year bringing more connections, more joy, more love, more peace.

    Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer
    http://www.thereflectivewriter.com
    Personal-Professional Balance Through Writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I look to the year ahead of us, Judy, I am excited about the connections that have been handed to me on a silver platter. Getting to know you has been a remarkable and unexpected gift. I know with absolute certainty that our friendship will continue to grow and we will share the privilege of inspiration with each other. I am proud to count you among the people I confidently call "my friend".

    Love,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Austin,

    well done, nicely "wrapped up"! You are a gem :)
    I think 2011 has been a "soul's" year. Meaning a lot happened on a very personal level, relationships got clearer & deeper and connections were made.
    Things like these happen all the time, but last year it was intenser and recently, I read this all the time on all my friends' blogs.

    I am very sorry to hear about Theresa's puppy, I feel for her deeply. And of course Heidi, hopefully, she'll get the sparkling back in her eyes soon.
    Happy 2012, so happy you stepped into my life,

    xx
    Franziska San Pedro
    The Abstract Impressionist Artress

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that Franziska! A souls year it has been and my soul has been enriched by being allowed the privilege of knowing friends like you. I am so excited about the things that are yet to come!

    Love,

    Austin/Bill

    ReplyDelete
  10. One final comment and then I will wait until my next post to speak out again. I am incredibly grateful to everyone who has read and supported my blog. At times, I have to admit, I have been frustrated that not everyone wishes to comment or become a member. I know better now. You all have been out there in the ether all along and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    Peace and Love(My Mantra),

    Austin/Bill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bill, I love how you wrapped this up. :-) The stories of Sandy & Theresa and how you got reaquainted with them is so amazing. (I love stories like that). I look forward to more of your inspiring, from the heart words. Please know that even if I can't read what you write immediately, I do always catch up. Happy New Year, dear friend.

    Trish
    www.robertssister.com
    caregiving. family. advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't worried Trish. I always know I can count on you. I certainly understand what a busy life you have. You are one of my heroes. I really am excited about sharing with you in 2012.

    ReplyDelete