Friday, January 27, 2012

My way of thinking/ Mourning the Loss of a Pet

My friend Scott and I met on Facebook a short time ago.  It wasn't long before we found that we had a lot in common, in particular a great love of animals.  Together we started a group called Robin's Hope: A Place for Animal Awareness.  It is a Facebook page where people can share pictures, videos, stories, rescue information, and basically anything to do with animals of all kinds.  The group was a hit from the start and it wasn't long before we realized we needed to do more for our members.  At the suggestion of one of our members, Rhonda Newport, we created a new page called Robin's Rainbow: A Place to Remember.  On this page members can share about beloved pets who have crossed over that rainbow to a place where they wait patiently to be reunited with the ones who loved them.


Robin's Rainbow quickly filled with remembrances and I was struck by the similarities in our grief.  We all shared a common bond and understanding of what it's like to lose a best friend of the four legged, furry kind.  People who have never had a pet find this deep love a little confusing.  But at Robin's Rainbow they can share without those looks that say, gee I'm sorry you're upset, but I don't really understand why.


I have written a number of stories about the dogs who passed over in the last few months.  I'm sure that many of you recognize the picture of Atticus.  Before him I wrote a piece about Maynard.  These were fiends of mine as well as their owners.  I grieved for them too.  Bonnie (also pictured here was one of my dogs) I will always miss her happy personality and the love we shared.  But I went on to have other dogs, and even a cat, in my life.  Atticus' mama has a new kid named Timmy Elijah.  Maynard's mom isn't quite sure yet but, whatever she eventually decides, she carries the love that Maynard gave her in her heart at all times.  Love never dies!


I believe that the more we love, the more we are able to love.  When a loved one goes away for any reason, we don't stop loving.  We can't stop sharing love because of the pain that comes when love changes direction.  This is true of all our relationships.  We can remember the hurt and pain and close ourselves off.  Or we can remember the joy that came with the love we felt.  It is a choice.  My hope is that we can continue to love in spite of the fear of loss.  Take that love that burns within your very soul and give it to another.


Okay.  Maybe a little preachy, but I want you all to enjoy the greatest gift we are given by a loving Universe.  That is the gift of love.  Without it we are sadly incomplete.


                                            Peace and Love,


                                                Austin/Bill


                 

                                 www.wahjr56.blogspot.com   

10 comments:

  1. Ah.. this is wonderful! a such a dynamic group you've started.

    Your line "I believe that the more we love, the more we are able to love." is Spot On!!

    Thank you for keeping Atticus in your heart... his love is eternal & his soul is very much alive!

    Heidi (& Atticus)
    http://www.atticusuncensored.com
    "commentary to give you paws..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atticus will be with me forever, Heidi. He touches me on such a deep visceral level. I can't explain it. Perhaps it has something to do with you. I made some promises to Atti. He knows what they are. I always keep my promises.

      Love,

      Bill

      Delete
  2. So true, Bill! We never forget the unconditional love that our furry family gives us. And I truly believe (at least for me) that we continually try to live up to the trust and love they felt we deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to put it, Sheri! We should all try to live up to their standards of love. The most important lessons I have learned in life came from my mom and my dogs!

      Austin/Bill

      Delete
  3. Austin - what a beautiful piece! I so agree with Heidi, "I believe that the more we love, the more we are able to love" is just so true!
    The deep love that we share with our pets is so real, so true - no games, no innuendos, no ulterior motives, just pure love. When we are open to this, it can only enrich our lives and open our world to one of caring and sharing. How well they teach us if we let them!
    I also believe it's a choice and my choice is to embrace the pain as I embraced the love, allow the love to grow and then share some more!
    Truly a lovely piece that touches my heart and the memory of my many loves, dog and cat, that are waiting. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, Lisa! And so true. Our animals teach us lessons that few humans can. They enrich our lives in a multitude of ways When they have to leave our earthly plane, we are left with the love and the lessons that they taught us. We honor them by carrying that love forward.

    Austin/Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. This moved me beyond words; so simple, so beautifully written! I loved the insert about a pet's last will and testament; it fit perfectly into your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not preachy. It's sincere and how you feel and this is your blog so do what you feel is right. I admire your outlook on love. I have to admit that the past sometimes makes me not look at love as a shiny and great as it is, but that's just me. It's a great thing and you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill, I continue to enjoy your message of spreading love and appreciate everything you do to help animals in this world. It is such a wonder to love and be loved by our animals. They are definitely a part of our heart!

    Trish
    www.robertssister.com
    caregiving. family. advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course this was written before Over The Rainbow :Pet Memories And Other Stories, came about. I am no longer affiliated with the other groups. Hope you will check us out and join.

    ReplyDelete