One of my new blogger pals, Franziska San Pedro, came up with this wonderful idea for each of us to write 25 random things about ourselves. We being a group of bloggers who share on The Circulation Desk on Facebook. What a great way to get to know each other better and maybe to learn a little something about ourselves. Here's some Austin's Random thoughts.
1. My favorite color is red. It reminds me of strength. Don't ask me why. If you start asking questions this won't be a very fun exercise.
2. Almost all of my friends and family from before 1973 call me Bill. Many of my new friends call me Bill because my connection to them is through my old chums. Truth is, I have been Austin for 38 years. But I am happy with either name.
3. I have always loved horses. To me they are giant dogs that you can ride.
4. After being hit by a car last April, I had an epiphany. Realizing more than ever how short life is, I redoubled my efforts to make a difference in the world around me.
5. My mother died when I was 17, my father when I was 19, and my brother when I was 31. I am an orphan.
6. I am one of the happiest people I know.
7. I saw my first Broadway show in 1959. It was "Flower Drum Song" by Rodgers and Hammerstein. I was 5. From that moment on I never wanted to do anything but theatre. So that's what I did with unwavering dedication.
8. I am happy to be my age. Glad that I learned a thing or two along the road to 57 years.
9. I have very strong political views but I don't discuss them often. Divisiveness is not my thing.
10. I was brought up by a very religious mother. She was a Christian singer from the age of 6 until she became ill in the early 1960's. Boy can I quote The Bible. I am a nightmare to people who try to "convert" me.
11. Jon and I met through a mutual friend. The friend thought that he was taking Jon out on a date but invited me to join them for a beer. Needless to say, we no longer have that mutual friend.Oops!
12. I love London. After New York City, it is my favorite city in the world.
13. I talk way too much. Jon says so. He also says that I tell everyone everything. Is that really a fault?
14. I believe that I loved music in the womb. Without music I would not know who I am.
15. Stephen Sondheim is my favorite composer/lyricist. I quote him a lot, sometimes breaking into song while quoting him.
16. I am a Disney fanatic. I love animated film, particularly from 1937-1967. You know. When they actually drew it.
17. I am a natural teacher. I am a good learner as well.
18. I dislike actors who are walking, talking job applicants 24/7. That used to be me so forgive me if I don't recite my theatrical history.
19. I said nothing about TV. I was the Pearl Drops Tooth Polish guy in 1973. Ha Ha!
20. I am a very good swimmer even though I am still working on being able to walk again.
21. I believe that meditation is key to inner peace and tranquility.
22. Laughter truly is healing. I know because I make Jon laugh a lot. After almost dying, he is now in top form. We watch a lot of comedy.
23. I sleep very little. Too many interesting things to do. Not enough hours in a day to waste them in sleep.
24. I read quite a bit but only on the go. This is the longest I have sat still in days.
25. I can't quit smoking. Don't bother yelling at me.
Well that's 25 pretty random thoughts. I just let things pop into my head. That's pretty much my writing style anyway. Now. Let's hear more random thoughts from the rest of you fabulous bloggers.
Peace and Love,